Feb 23, 2008

Domino Square



Cast on 79 sts on needle size 4.5 mm, 7US.

1st row: (= wrong side): Knit

2nd row: (= right side): Slip 1 st as if to knit, K 37 sts, slip 1 st as if to knit, K2 tog, psso, K the rest of the sts on row (= 38 sts)

3rd row: Slip 1 st as if to knit, K the rest of the sts on row.

4th row: Slip 1 st as if to knit, K 36 sts, slip 1 st as if to knit, K2 tog, psso, K the rest of the sts on row .

5th Row and every odd row: Slip 1 st as if to knit, K the rest of the sts on row.

Continue like this, i.e.: you dec 2 sts in the centre on every other row until 1 st left. Cut the thread and pull through.

EDIT (F-Feb 25): The block should measure 23 cm or 9 inches…Yardage is 71m from a 90m skein

based on the domino-cardigan-in-silke-tweed from drops design
as test knit by Femke

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this pattern,
have used it for other things.
Great choice,
Susan

Jinann said...

My square is a perfect match for the original dimensions of 10"x 10"....bigger than the new 9" dimension. Anyone else having this problem?

GrF said...

About the size...hm, one inch is a big difference...did you use the 4.5mm needles and a CO of 79 st?
In my testblock I used 71m of the 90m skein and the block turned out to be 9".

It sounds a bit like a bigger CO. Maybe if you could knit the second one too and measure the edge of the block after let's say...6 rows (3 decreases). Measure from corner to corner, that is from one side of the needle to the corner of the block which appears in the middle.
Could you please try that out? If the CO isn't the problem and the needle isn't, maybe you should try less st to CO.

Unknown said...

I'm having size trouble too. I started on 7's with 79 CO and it was huge, I went down to a 6 and now I am at 10'x10'.

I think if I go down to 5's it will be 9'x9'- what do you prefer- a needle size change of less CO?
-Hedge

GrF said...

If you have a sizing problem, please go down (or up) in needle size. As we use the matress stitch to sew the blocks together, we need an equal number of stitches.

Thanks for letting me know!

GrF