Aug 20, 2009

Our Newest Project - It's a Surprise!

As you may know one of dear members is having a baby in February. Kcatt79 (Katherine) hasn't been around much lately because of that good ol' Morning Sickness but she has been with us almost since the beginning of this fabulous group. So we would like to make her a nice afghan. Something that will be soft and cuddly for both her and the new baby. Something that gives her extra comfort and warmth in the wee hours of the night. So here's the plan.....

Not only do we need people to make blocks but we will also need people on boths sides of the Atlantic to put blocks together into strips, then strips into panels, panels into the afghan and then an edging around the afghan. We would like to get this all done by the end December. If you can volunteer for any of these things please let us know if you would like to:

A) Sew blocks together into a strip (this should not be more than 5 blocks I think)

B) Sew two strips into a panel

C) Sew panels into the afghan

D) Make an edging (this may be split into more than one person doing it)

E) One person to attach the edging

If we get a lot of blocks we could either make a medium blanket for Catherine and a crib size for the baby or we could hold on to extra blocks for the next little addition to Monthly Adventures. I am optimistic that we will get more blocks than we need!

Now for the blocks:


Any 12" block in a cream/natural color
Must be super soft and SUPERWASH
Worsted weight
Preferably a wool blend
Please be sure to include your real name and Ravelry name attached to the block. We will let you know who to send to once we have people assigned to the tasks above.

To make this really easy you can use one of the blocks from the Block of the Month KAL in the group.

Any questions? I have tried to get as many people on this list as possible but if you think of someone who you think would like to participate please ask them if they have received an email. Just don't ask Katherine! ;)

We will set up a Baby Shower sometime in January, so let's get this up and running!

Thank you so much for any help you can give us with this project!

Fibers, Grf and Purr

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I finally found the perfect yarn! yeah!
i used di.Ve' Zenith for a baby blanket earlier this year and it is absolutely scrumptious! pure merino but super wash and it is round if i can say that... anyway, when you knit it with it being round, it just sproings and bounces and makes a really thick sproingy material. i found it in neutral on a one pound cone for dyers! yeah! so i'll use it for these squares and then have some to dye! yeah!!!! and that's really good since all the colors in this line are U-GLY!
now just waitning for it to get here.
as far as the squares are concerned, i found a washcloth pattern with a cute rubber duckie and am trying to decide on the 2nd - either teddy bear or heart.
what are you guys coming up with?

KnitYoga said...

I'm knitting a strand of Jaeger Matchmaker Merino DK in cream together with a strand of Jaeger Matchmaker Merino 4ply in white which comes out at aran weight and gives an overall nice mottled effect cream colour. I've started the first block. I'm knitting the Little Hobby Horse from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury. Not sure yet what I'll be doing for my second block.

Fibers said...

You guys are two steps ahead of me....I haven't even gotten the yarn yet. I think I may try the Mission Falls 1826. Its a new wool superwash and it is really soft.IU'll probably change my mind a few times before I actually get to making the blocks! :)